Best Web Hosting Services of 2020
Behind every great website is a great web hosting service. Use our professional guides, rankings and reviews to narrow down your choices in this competitive sector and determine which features and services are the best value for you.
We receive referral fees from partners | Advertising Disclosure
Frequently asked questions on web hosting:
Looking to get started with web hosting, but not sure where to begin? We’ve got you covered! In addition to our comprehensive reviews, we’ve compiled answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about hosting a website to help you get started.
What Is Web Hosting?
Web hosting services, at the most basic level, provide the portal between your business and your website or applications on the Internet. They essentially have servers and management software that lets you design, upload, and link your website and component web pages together, and place them out before the world. In turn, they make sure it is accessible via the web address you’ve registered so that people can access it.
Often, the best web hosting companies also provide a suite of tools and software to help you track statistics about your site, optimize search results and ranking among search engines, and other value-added features. Some also offer assistance and tools to create your website in the first place, whereas others are purely a hosting platform.
How Can I Benefit From Web Hosting?
Naturally, in order to have an online presence, you need web hosting. While larger corporations can often have the resources and abilities to handle this in-house, the vast majority of individuals and small-to-medium-sized businesses need services from an outside company. The top web hosting providers employ skilled in-house personnel to monitor servers and troubleshoot problems, 24/7. Their goal is to make it easy for you to get yourself and your business online, with tools and services to help you present your best face to the digital world. They handle the tech side of hosting and let you focus on running your business – not learning a second career in networking and Internet technology.
What Web Hosting Features Do You Need?
There are many different features available from many of the best web hosting companies we’ve highlighted in this guide. The most basic, affordable plans are often the least feature-rich, though they do provide the basics that you need to get your site online. Website builder packages, or those with drag-and-drop software capabilities, tend to cost a bit more at a lot of hosts, though many of the best top web hosting providers may include them for free. Support is also critical – 24/7 support, either by phone, live chat, or both – is pretty much the standard for the top web hosting providers today. This will help ensure your website is up, running, and accessible all of the time, and that you have someone to turn to for help ASAP if there are any issues.
Can You Get Web Hosting for Free?
Some companies, particularly those that focus on providing simple website builder software experiences, often provide hosting services for those same sites. They’re managed and limited compared to what you might find at other hosts, of course, especially for the free or ad-supported plans.
But if you have no budget for hosting, check out a company like Wix or Weebly and see what they offer – you can get very basic web design and hosting for free! For more demanding applications and needs, though, you’ll need a paid plan from a top web hosting company – remember, you get what you pay for!
What Hosting Options Are There?
As mentioned earlier, there are a few different key types of web hosting options. Depending on your particular needs, one option may be more appealing over the other. Just remember that they all come at different price points, and with different levels of features, so be sure to do your research on what you need, and don’t go overboard if you’re just starting out with a small, simple website!
- Website builder accounts: The aforementioned drag-and-drop style simple interface systems that also handle technical things like web hosting. Options and features are limited, but for a personal site or a start-up business, this can be a great low-cost choice.
- Shared web hosting: The most common type of entry-level hosting that most services offer. Multiple websites from different customers are hosted on a single server. This is a cost-effective solution, though there may be some performance issues as you are sharing system resources with other clients.
- Dedicated web hosting: Provides your business with a dedicated, single server, not shared with anyone else. This is incredibly valuable for high-bandwidth, high-performance, and/or high-security applications and needs. Of course, it costs a bit more since you are paying for the server alone.
- VPS: Virtual Private Server web hosting is a bit of middle ground between shared and dedicated hosting. While the hardware remains shared physically, you get a dedicated partition on the server, with a set share of system resources as part of your service agreement. This can help ensure performance is maintained, without requiring a dedicated server for just your business.
- Cloud hosting: It has become increasingly popular, especially for larger or high-demand sites. Hosting functions are spread across groups of computers in the host’s data centers, and can respond on-demand to traffic and computational needs, scaling up or down as required.
- Personal hosting: Where you use your own computer or a spare computer to host a site out of your home or office. This is not advisable, however, as it may violate your ISP agreements, and will generally require much greater technical expertise than any other option here. It also results in poor performance, limited features and abilities, and can be a real headache unless you know exactly what you are doing
What are the Best Hosting Providers?
Below, we briefly touch on details of some of today’s top web hosting providers, in terms of what they offer, their prices, and general reputation and value. This will provide you with a good place to start when seeking out the best web hosting company for your particular needs.
SiteGround offers basic web hosting, WordPress hosting, high-performance e-commerce hosting, and scalable cloud hosting options. Enterprise, dedicated hosting and reseller options are also available, though feature less prominently. The most basic hosting option starts at $3.95 per month.
Only a close second to SiteGround, Bluehost’s cloud service offers a 99.96% uptime guarantee and lags only a fraction of milliseconds behind. If you aren’t very up to speed on computer technologies, you’re going to appreciate Bluehost’s easy to use format that’s been designed to be user-friendly and intuitive.
One of the fastest load times you will find anywhere. It’s also got a 99.98% uptime guarantee (they’re often running at 100%). Not only that, HostGator’s packages are competitively priced, offer great customer support, and deliver an overall terrific user experience.
DreamHost offers free domain name registration, free SSL certificates, 1-click WordPress publishing software installation, and 24/7 support, all for a low introductory rate of $2.59 per month for individual/small business customers. They also provide e-commerce support. Hosting options included shared, VPS, and dedicated hosting.
InterServer offers a number of different web hosting packages depending on your needs. It is one of the few businesses which offers a price lock guarantee, meaning that you will never have to worry about a hosting price rise again. The basic hosting is a bit on the expensive end at $4.00 per month but you do get your first month hosting at $0.01 as a new member. For this price in their standard plan, they do offer the most unlimited essential features as compared to other hosting services.
Like other top web hosting providers on our list, Just Host has a competitive $3.92 per month introductory program, offering a free SSL certificate, unlimited SSD space & transfer, unmetered bandwidth (though maybe throttled if in the top 0.05% of users), free & easy site migration and the only hosting to provide anytime money-back guarantee. They also offer dedicated and VPS hosting options, e-commerce support, and a lot of other options.
Comparing to other hosting sites Wix is mainly targetted towards amateur users will almost no knowledge about web hosting or website development. If you are new to website building and wish to get your site up and running in little to no time? Then Wix is the best bet for you. They are the only reputed hosting company which provides free hosting with super easy drag and drop website builder. In their Free plan, you cannot use your domain name and will have to use a Wix provided domain for your website. But once you have set up your website, you can seamlessly upgrade to their premium plan which offers 1 year free domain, unlimited bandwidth and much more.
The information in this site is based on different reviews made by third parties, as well as own view and sources. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Affiliate Marketing Corp is prohibited.